The Synergy SIS Integration allows administrators to seamlessly integrate Synergy with Incident IQ by automating most aspects of your data upload. This provides administrators the ability to easily manage the sync and mapping options for users, groups, and locations between the two programs in one convenient location. The following guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to integrate Synergy with Incident IQ.
Not what you were looking for? Perhaps one of these other guides will help:
- Managing Incident IQ Apps - A guide designed to provide a brief overview of Incident IQ Apps and how to access app management.
You can use the following links below to quickly navigate to a specific section in this document. To quickly return to this index simply use the Return to Index link located at the end of any section.
- Creating OneRoster Format CSV Files
- Installing the Incident IQ Integration
- Setting up the Nightly FTP Uploads
Creating OneRoster Format CSV Files
Incident IQ uses an SFTP setup to sync information from Synergy through CSV files that utilize the OneRoster protocol. You will need to set up CSV files using the following naming conventions:
You can use the following IMS OneRoster links for guides on how to format the data for each file:
If you have any questions, concerns, or have any issues with your CSV files you will need to contact Incident IQ customer support for additional details.
Installing the Integration in Incident IQ
Please note that all information entered during installation can be edited at any time after setup. Before beginning the installation process you will need the following:
- Access to an FTP server and access to the server's Host, Port, Username, Password, and Path information.
Once you have this information select Incident IQ Apps > Browse on the left navigation bar.
Click on the Synergy Integration and then select Install to begin.
Step one of the installation process simply provides an overview of what the Synergy Integration will install into Incident IQ. Select Continue once you are ready to proceed to step two.
For the first phase of step two, you will need to enter your FTP server's Host, Port, Username, Password, and Path information. Each of these fields must be filled out in order to continue. Once you have completed this section select Validate to proceed.
You will now be asked to specify a default location for the integration. If you are using this integration as the primary source of your user location data then this location is where your users with unmapped locations will be moved to in iiQ. Once you have selected the default location select Continue to proceed.
You will now be asked to set up the system import and update sync options. This will determine what users and user data Incident IQ will create and update during the initial import and subsequent syncs with Synergy.
The Import Options section allows you to manage the following:
- Include Inactive Users: When this box is checked, a new user will be created in Incident IQ for any inactive users in Synergy during the initial import, as well as any new inactive users found when a sync is run.
- Import Students: When this box is checked, a new user will be created in Incident IQ for any student users in Synergy during the initial import, as well as any new students found when a sync is run.
- Import Teachers: When this box is checked, a new user will be created in Incident IQ for any teacher users in Synergy during the initial import, as well as any new teachers found when a sync is run.
- Import Administrators: When this box is checked, a new user will be created in Incident IQ for any administrator users in Synergy during the initial sync, as well as any new administrators found when a sync is run.
- Import Other Users: When this box is checked, a new user will be created in Incident IQ for any miscellaneous users like parents or guardians in Synergy when running a sync.
- Deactivate Users: When this box is checked, any user that no longer exists within Synergy will automatically be set to the No Access role if Synergy is the primary system of record for a user's role.
Important: Please note that it is highly recommended that you leave the import options blank if another integration is already creating user accounts in Incident IQ. Failure to do so can result in duplicate user accounts getting created from multiple systems.
Once you have completed this section select Continue to proceed.
Before proceeding, you may make changes to any section by clicking on any of the settings options. Please note that you can edit any of these options once the app has been installed as well. When you are ready to proceed, select Continue.
The next phase of the installation allows you to select whether Synergy is activated for ticket submission on your site. If you want Synergy to sync data to user accounts but not allow users to submit tickets for Synergy in Incident IQ then you can uncheck this option. Once you have reviewed this section, select Continue to proceed.
At this time you will be asked to review all of the changes that are about to be made to your Incident IQ site. Before moving on please keep in mind that after the installation process begins it cannot be stopped. Once you have completed your review select Install App to begin the integration process.
Please note that it make take a few moments for the integration to complete the installation. Once this process has been completed, you can import Synergy user data into Incident IQ.
Setting up Nightly Data Syncs with the FTP Server
To schedule the upload to occur automatically each night, you will need to create a task in Windows Task Manager. You can do so by searching for Administrative Tools and selecting Task Scheduler. This will open the Task Scheduler window.
In the Task Scheduler window, start by clicking on Action > Create Basic Task...
This will open the Create Basic Task Wizard. At the very least, you will need to provide a name for the new task. You can also add a task if desired. Once complete, click Next.
In the next step, you will be asked to select when this task should Trigger. We recommend running it daily (overnight) for the most accurate user data. Please ensure you set the task to run regardless of whether a user is logged in or not on the server. Once complete, click Next.
For the next step, you will need to specify what action the task will take when running. Select Start a Program and then click on Next.
When specifying the action to perform, locate the .exe file of your FTP program. the Program/script file browser. You will need to provide the correct command-line parameters based on the FTP server software that you are using. If you are unsure of what scripting commands should be entered you will need to refer to your software's help documentation for further instructions. Once complete, click Next.
In the final step, you may review all of the settings of your task. Once you have completed your review, check Open the Properties dialog for this task when I click Finish option and then click the Finish.
In the sync properties window, you will need to check Run whether user is logged on or not as well as Run with highest privileges. Click OK to complete the sync setup.