The Aspen Integration allows administrators to seamlessly integrate Aspen SIS with Incident IQ by automating most aspects of your data upload. This provides administrators the ability to easily manage the sync and mapping options for users, groups, and locations between the two programs in one convenient location. The following guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to integrate the Aspen with Incident IQ.
You can use the following links below to quickly navigate to a specific section in this document. To quickly return to this index, simply use the Return to Index link located at the end of any section.
- Creating OneRoster Format CSV Files
- Installing the Incident IQ Integration
- Setting up the Nightly FTP Uploads
Creating OneRoster Format CSV Files
Incident IQ uses an SFTP setup to sync information from Aspen from CSV files that utilize the OneRoster protocol. You will need to set up CSV files using the following naming conventions:
You can use the following IMS OneRoster links for guides on how to format the data for each file:
If you have any questions, concerns, or have any issues with your CSV files you will need to contact Incident IQ customer support for additional details.
Installing the Incident IQ Integration
Please note that all information entered during installation can be edited at any time after setup. Before beginning the installation process you will need the following:
- Access to an FTP server and access to the server's Host, Port, Username, Password, and Path information.
Once you have this information, select Incident IQ Apps > Browse on the left navigation bar.
Click on the Aspen App and then select Install near the top of the page to begin.
Step one of the installation process simply provides an overview of what the Aspen Integration will install into Incident IQ. Select Continue once you are ready to proceed to step two.
For the first phase of step two, you will need to enter your FTP server information. This includes the following:
Once you have completed this section, select Validate & Save to proceed.
The next phase of step two will ask you to select a default location. This will be used as the location a user account will be assigned if they do not match any of your custom mappings that are set up after the integration has been installed. Once you have completed this section, select Continue to proceed.
You will now be asked to set up the system import and update sync options. This will determine what users and user data Incident IQ will create and update during the initial import and subsequent syncs with Aspen.
The Import Options section allows you to manage the following:
- Include Inactive Users: When this box is checked, a new user will be created in Incident IQ for any inactive users in Aspen during the initial import, as well as any new inactive users found when a sync is run.
- Import Students: When this box is checked, a new user will be created in Incident IQ for any student users in Aspen during the initial import, as well as any new students found when a sync is run.
- Import Teachers: When this box is checked, a new user will be created in Incident IQ for any teacher users in Aspen during the initial import, as well as any new teachers found when a sync is run.
- Import Administrators: When this box is checked, a new user will be created in Incident IQ for any administrator users in Aspen during the initial sync, as well as any new administrators found when a sync is run.
- Import Other Users: When this box is checked, a new user will be created in Incident IQ for any miscellaneous users like parents or guardians in Aspen when running a sync.
- Deactivate Users: When this box is checked, any user that no longer exists within Aspen will automatically be set to the No Access role if Aspen is the primary system of record for a user's role.
Important: Please note that it is highly recommended that you leave the import options blank if another integration is already creating user accounts in Incident IQ. Failure to do so can result in duplicate user accounts getting created from multiple systems.
Once you have completed this section, select Continue to proceed.
Before proceeding, you may make changes to any section by clicking on any of the settings options. Please note that you can edit any of these options once the app has been installed as well. When you are ready to proceed, select Continue.
The next phase of the installation allows you to select whether Aspen is activated for ticket submission on your site. If you want Aspen to sync data to user accounts but not allow users to submit tickets for Aspen in Incident IQ then you can uncheck this option. Once you have reviewed this section, select Continue to proceed.
At this time, you will be asked to review all of the changes that are about to be made to your Incident IQ site. Before moving on, please keep in mind that after the installation process begins it cannot be stopped. Once you have completed your review, select Install App to begin the integration process.
Please note that it make take a few moments for the integration to complete the installation. Once this process has been completed, you can import Aspen user data into Incident IQ.
Setting up Nightly Data Syncs with the FTP Server
To schedule the upload to occur automatically each night, you will need to create a task in Windows Task Manager. You can do so by searching for Administrative Tools and selecting Task Scheduler. This will open the Task Scheduler window.
In the Task Scheduler window, start by clicking on Action > Create Basic Task...
This will open the Create Basic Task Wizard. At the very least, you will need to provide a name for the new task. You can also add a task if desired. Once complete, click Next.
In the next step, you will be asked to select when this task should Trigger. We recommend running it daily (overnight) for the most accurate user data. Please ensure you set the task to run regardless of whether a user is logged in or not on the server. Once complete, click Next.
For the next step, you will need to specify what action the task will take when running. Select Start a Program and then click on Next.
When specifying the action to perform, locate the .exe file of your FTP program. the Program/script file browser. You will need to provide the correct command-line parameters based on the FTP server software that you are using. If you are unsure of what scripting commands should be entered you will need to refer to your software's help documentation for further instructions. Once complete, click Next.
In the final step, you may review all of the settings of your task. Once you have completed your review, check Open the Properties dialog for this task when I click Finish option and then click the Finish.
In the sync properties window, you will need to check Run whether user is logged on or not as well as Run with highest privileges. Click OK to complete the sync setup.