Warning: This document contains instructions for adjusting app synchronization settings that can adversely affect your device data, user data, and/or user mapping settings in Incident IQ. As such, only qualified personnel should proceed with making adjustments to the settings outlined in this document.
The PowerSchool App allows administrators to seamlessly integrate PowerSchool with Incident IQ by automating most aspects of your data upload. This provides administrators the ability to easily manage email translation settings, as well as the sync and mapping options for users, groups, and locations between the two programs in one convenient location. The following guide provides an in-depth overview of managing this application in Incident IQ.
Not what you were looking for? Perhaps one of these other guides will help:
- Installing the PowerSchool Integration - A guide that provides step-by-step instructions on how to install the PowerSchool app into Incident IQ.
- Managing Incident IQ Apps - A guide designed to provide a brief overview of Incident IQ Apps and how to access app management.
You can use the following links below to quickly navigate to a specific section in this document. To quickly return to this index simply use the Return to Index link located at the end of any section.
- Accessing the PowerSchool App Management
- Overview Tab
- Settings Tab
- Location Mappings Tab
- Sync History Tab
- User History Tab
- Models Tab
- Using the PowerSchool Widget
Accessing the PowerSchool App Management
You can edit all information entered during installation using the management options. To do so go to the Apps Management page by selecting Incident IQ Apps > Manage on the left navigation bar.
On the Installed Apps tab on the Apps Management page select Options on the PowerSchool app.
This will take you to the PowerSchool App management page where you will be able to select the following tabs:
- Overview tab where you to view basic user and group data, as well as run manual syncs with PowerSchool.
- Settings tab where you to view and update your authentication (API Url, consumer key, and consumer secret) as well as your field mappings.
- Location Mappings tab where you can change your location mappings between PowerSchool and Incident IQ.
- Sync History tab where you view the sync data for each sync including users updated, skipped, created, and deactivated.
- User History tab where you can view the user revision history in Incident IQ, as well as the current groups this user belongs to.
- Models tab where you can set whether PowerSchool is available for use in ticket submission within Incident IQ.
This tab provides you with a brief summary of your current users, groups, and changes made to users in Incident IQ during the last sync with PowerSchool.
If necessary, the Authentication section allows you to view and manage the following PowerSchool API settings:
- Consumer Key
- Consumer Secret
You can also start manual syncs at any time by selecting the Start Sync button near the bottom of the page.
This tab allows you to change or validate your PowerSchool API data, as well as make changes to your user data options.
The Authentication section allows you to view and manage the following PowerSchool API settings:
- Consumer Key
- Consumer Secret
In the Available Features section, you can enable parent/guardian logins. This gives parents/guardians with PowerSchool accounts the ability to login to Incident IQ to see their student's account.
The Field Mapping section allows you to control what fields get updated and what priority the PowerSchool has when updating user accounts during syncs. The left-hand column of checkboxes allows you to enable and disable user data fields for use in data syncs.
Please note that unchecking a box will prevent any app from syncing data into the deselected field. For instance, if you uncheck the Phone option, no app will be able to write data into this field, not just PowerSchool.
You can also set the app priority in the right-hand column. Selecting Update if not already set will prioritize other applications over the PowerSchool sync if another system is already pulling in the selected system. Alternatively, selecting Always Update places no prioritization on which app will update this field.
Make sure to select Save after making any changes before you navigate away from this tab. Otherwise, your new settings will not update in Incident IQ.
Location Mappings Tab
This tab allows you to select or modify your current location mappings between PowerSchool and Incident IQ.
You can set or modify your current default location as well as match locations in PowerSchool to the locations in Incident IQ.
Sync History Tab
This tab allows you to look up the data for any sync between PowerSchool and Incident IQ. Clicking on the link of any sync will display the number of users updated, skipped, created, or deleted during the course of that particular sync.
Clicking on particular sync will bring up the sync details which include the total number of users, groups, as well as the number of users add, updated and skipped. Clicking on the Created, Updated, or Skipped options below the overview will provide you a list of users that fell under that category during the sync.
User History Tab
This tab allows you to look up the PowerSchool data that Incident IQ is able to view from the selected user. The information displayed includes what type of user they are, their username, first and last names, organization groups they belong to, as well as their sync/change history.
The Models tab allows you to set whether PowerSchool is available for ticket submission. By default, PowerSchool is enabled, but if you do not wish to utilize the ticketing functionality you can simply uncheck the model activation box.
The PowerSchool Widget
Administrators in districts with a PowerSchool integration can access basic PowerSchool data on a user directly from their user page using the PowerSchool Widget. This tool allows you to immediately view their PowerSchool Id, Identifier, Role, Status, Grade, Location, and Homeroom information.
Tip: Homeroom and grade-level data are also available as filters for user views. For more information on applying filters to user views check out the Filtering the Users View section of this document. Additionally, you can find out more about Custom Views by clicking here.
They can also access the courses a user is enrolled in as well as the Incident IQ and PowerSchool sync history of the user.
Additionally, should you need to make any changes to a user's account, you can access the following features using the Options button:
- Sync User: This option allows you to sync this individual user's data without the need for a full sync between Incident IQ and PowerSchool.
- Remove link to SIS User: This option allows you to unassociate the PowerSchool account that is tied to this Incident IQ account.
- Change SIS User: This option allows you to change the PowerSchool account that is tied to this Incident IQ account.