This guide is designed to give Incident IQ administrators an overview of the Mosyle Manager integration app related topics:
- Managing settings that control asset creation and deletion
- When and what information is updated during syncs
- Setting up location and model mappings
- Enable remote device actions
- Sync and asset history lookup tools
- Frequently asked integration questions
You can use the following links below to quickly navigate to a specific section in this document. To quickly return to this index simply use the "Return to Index" link located at the end of each section.
- Installing Mosyle
- Integration Overview
- Remote Device Actions
- Frequently Asked Questions
- What location should I use for my default location?
- Can I pull room information from Mosyle Manager into Incident IQ?
- Can I map certain fields coming from Mosyle Manager to default asset fields in Incident IQ?
- Why are assets not getting created during syncs?
- Why are asset tags not updating during syncs?
The Mosyle Manager integration app is designed to give school districts the ability to create, manage, and automatically assign assets to students in Incident IQ by utilizing Mosyle asset data. In addition, this will allow agents and admins the ability to view an asset's metadata in one convenient location. This includes basic device information, OS and firmware versions, and other data that agents may find useful during the course of working a ticket.
When installed, you can access the Mosyle Manager Integration app by selecting Incident IQ Apps > Apps Management. This will take you to your Installed Apps page where you can select the Manage button to access the Mosyle Manager Integration.
Installing Mosyle Manager
To install the Mosyle Manager integration, begin by clicking on Incident IQ Apps > Browse on the left side bar. Next, under the Asset Management section, click on the Mosyle Manager.
From here, simply select Install and follow the steps to complete the installation.
Once installed in Incident IQ you will need to click on Manage App Settings.
Then enter and save your Mosyle Manager Access Token to complete the installation process.
Next, you will need to run a sync. Navigate to the Overview Tab and click Start Full Sync. This will accomplish the following:
- Establish a connection Incident IQ and Mosyle asset information.
- Allows Incident IQ to see what models are available in your Mosyle. This is necessary to set up automatic asset creation.
The following section is designed to give you a detailed overview of each tab of the integration and the tabs intended purpose. After installing Mosyle and running your first sync. Your next steps are to:
- Enable how your assets are created and updated within iiQ under the General Settings Tab.
- Map the location of assets under the Location Mapping Tab.
- Map the model for your assets under the Model Mapping Tab.
- Run a full sync under the Overview Tab.
- Overview Tab
- General Settings Tab
- Location Mapping Tab
- Model Mapping Tab
- Sync History Tab
- Asset History Tab
When installed, you can access the Mosyle app by selecting Incident IQ Apps > Apps Management. This will take you to your Installed Apps page where you can select Manage to access the Mosyle app management.
The Overview Tab gives you the ability to quickly review the status of the most recent sync between Incident IQ and Mosyle. While syncs will automatically run overnight, you have three additional options:
- Start Full Sync - manually start a new sync.
- Re-Run Last Sync - run the very last sync again.
- Push Data - if you have set up write back functionality push the data back to your asset integration form iiQ. Please see the section below for more details on creating custom values fields that are pushed from iiQ to your asset management integration.
Additionally, you can use the View Details button to take you directly to the Sync History tab where you can review the count of assets updated, added, or skipped over during the most recent sync.
General Settings Tab
The General Settings tab has the settings that control when information is brought in or updated automatically, as well as field mappings between the Mosyle Manager and Incident IQ. As such, this tab controls the following integration settings:
- An authentication field to enter the Mosyle token so that Incident IQ can access asset data.
- Options that control if assets are automatically created, updated, and deleted during syncs.
- The ability to turn on automatic room assignment for assets if you are storing this data in Mosyle.
- Custom field asset mapping options to pull in additional data for use in asset filters and custom view columns.
- An option to enable the use of remote asset features available in Mosyle Manager directly on an asset detail's page by administrators and agents with the correct permissions.
The Authentication section is where you will find the Access Token field. Enter your Mosyle Manager token here for Incident IQ to access your Mosyle asset data.
The Mapping section manages what data is created and updated in Incident IQ based on data coming from Mosyle. This includes:
- Create Asset: Selecting this will automatically create assets in IIQ to match any new device discovered in Mosyle during a sync.
- Update Asset: Selecting this will automatically update assets in IIQ to match any updates to a device's data discovered in Mosyle during a sync.
- Update Custom Fields: Selecting this option will only allow new information being pulled into custom fields to update during a sync.
- Delete Asset: Selecting this will automatically delete assets in IIQ to match any assets deletions that have occurred in Mosyle during a sync.
Next, under the Import Options section you can enable the Create Rooms option. This will automatically create rooms associated with assets in Mosyle if these rooms do not already exist in Incident IQ.
The Map custom values section allows you to select additional values you want imported and map them to default or custom fields in iiQ. This gives you the ability to pull in custom data fields and custom view column options. Click on the Add button.
Next, fill out the following field mapping options:
Please note, there may be pre-configured mapping and they can not be changed.
- Select the custom value
- Set the Map Direction
The following fields are only supported for syncing from iiQ to Mosyle: asset tag, device name, lock message.
- Mosyle to Incident IQ
- Incident IQ to Mosyle
- Both directions (if both, data will push from Incident IQ to Mosyle first.)
- Select the iiQ field the custom value should map too. You can map to the default field or map to a custom field.
- If you map to a Custom Field, you will need to set a field name, select a field type (text, number, or date), and set whether the field information needs to be searchable through filters.
Next, you can control whether the Mosyle Manager integration will update the owner field in Incident IQ using the following options in the Automatic asset assignment in IIQ drop-down menu:
- Don't automatically update asset owner in IIQ: This option will prevent the Mosyle Manager integration from updating owner information in Incident IQ.
- Automatically update owner in IIQ based on User Id in Mosyle Manager: This option will automatically update the device ownership of assets in Incident IQ based on the User Id field in Mosyle Manager.
- Automatically update owner in IIQ based on Email Address in Mosyle Manager: This option will automatically update the device ownership of assets in Incident IQ based on the Email Address of the user in Mosyle Manager.
The last section is the Remote Device Actions. You can enable remote device actions that administrators and agents with the correct permissions can access directly on an asset's details page in Incident IQ. Please see the section below for more details on the different deceive actions for Mosyle and enabling the device actions based on users roles.
Location Mappings Tab
This tab allows you to select or modify your current location mappings between IIQ and Mosyle. You can choose to automatically assign a device to a default location in Incident IQ if it does not match any location mappings set. This is especially important if you are using the Mosyle integration to automatically create assets because assets must have a location set to be created.
Location is required for an asset to be created in iiQ. The way this works during a sync is as follows:
- If an asset matches the location mapping, then the asset will get created and assigned to the corresponding location the mapping is set to.
- If an asset does not match a location mapping, or no location mappings are present, and a default location is selected, then the asset will get created and assigned to the default location.
- If an asset does not match a custom mapping, or no custom mappings are present, and there is no default location set, then the asset will not be created during a sync.
The Custom Mapping Options allows you to choose how you would like devices to map in IIQ. You can choose to match Location Names between Mosyle and iiQ.
When selected, you will be presented with a list of locations currently in the system. From here, you can select Auto-Map Location Names to match location names between IIQ and Mosyle. Alternatively, you can also manually search for and select your location assignments if needed.
Models Mappings Tab
This tab allows you to select or modify your current model mappings between IIQ and the Mosyle. Unmapped models will not be imported into iiQ. You can use the Auto-Map Models button to automatically attempt to match models in your list of devices with models that already exist in IIQ.
Alternatively, you can also manually select what model your device should map to using the drop-down menus to the right of each listed device.
If your device will not auto-map and is not available from the drop-down options, then it most likely does not currently exist in IIQ. In this case, simply select the Create New Model button on the right of the device mapping in question to automatically create and activate this model during your data sync.
Sync History Tab
This tab allows you to view your sync history between IIQ and the Mosyle. Every sync, whether it completed successfully or not, is logged for reference purposes and available for review in the View details of a sync list.
Clicking on any sync, in particular, will open that sync's details. From here, you can review the full list of what devices were updated, created, deleted, or skipped during the sync. Additionally, you can narrow down your view by using the filter options at the top of the list.
Asset History Tab
The Asset History tab allows you to search for basic information on any device currently located in your Mosyle. Simply enter in a valid serial number in the Search for asset field to begin your search.
Once you've selected a device, you'll be able to see the following Jamf information:
- External ID
- Owner Email
- Organizational Unit
- Serial Number
- Location Name
Additionally, you'll also see a list of actions applied to this device during recent system syncs.
Remote Device Actions
Under the General Settings tab at the end of the page, you can activate remote device actions. Administrators and agents with the correct permissions can access remote device directly on an asset's details page in Incident IQ. These options include:
- Clear Commands: Allow a user to clear commands queued for a Mosyle Manager managed device.
- Remote Restart Device: Allow a user to remotely restart a Mosyle Manager managed device.
- Remote Shutdown Device: Allow a user to remotely shutdown a Mosyle Manager managed device.
- Remote Wipe Device: Allow a user to remotely wipe a Mosyle Manager managed device.
- Set Lost-Mode Options: Allow a user to set Lost-Mode Options on a Mosyle Manager managed iOS device.
Please note: administrators are given full access to all remote features permissions by default. However, each of the remote features listed above are controlled by an individual permission. This makes it possible to customize which permissions an agent has access to, without needing to give them full access to the remote features. These permissions can be found underneath the App Specific section on policies and individual user permissions pages.
On the asset details page you will have access to preform these actions.
Frequently Asked Questions
The following section consists of common questions that users have when installing and setting up the Mosyle Manager integration. Please note, if you are experiencing an issue that is not covered in this section, please contact the Incident IQ Customer Support team for further assistance.
What location should I use for my default location?
If you are unsure of what location you should utilize, we recommend setting the district/central office as your default location. Alternatively, you may setup an entirely separate location (such as "Unassigned") to utilize for this purpose as well.
Can I pull room information from the Mosyle Manager?
If you are storing room information in Mosyle Manager, you can pull this information into Incident IQ during the syncs. This includes the ability to create rooms for any given location if they do not already exist in the system. To do so, go to the General Settings tab and activate the Create Rooms option.
Can I map certain fields in Mosyle Manager to default or custom asset fields in Incident IQ?
Yes, you can pull in certain fields of data from Mosyle Manager and map to the default or custom asset fields. Go to the General Setting tab to set one of these fields up. Next click on the Add button toward the bottom of the Map custom values from mosyleManager section
Next, you will need to fill out the following field mapping options:
- Select the specific data field in Mosyle Manager you want to pull in as a custom field
- Set whether the data only pulls from Mosyle to Incident IQ, or sends from Incident IQ to Mosyle, or flows in both directions (if both, data will push from Incident IQ to Mosyle first.)
- Specify if the data should map to a custom field
- Set a field name, select a field type (text, number, or date), and set whether the field information needs to be searchable through filters.
Why are assets not getting created during syncs?
For a sync to create assets automatically, the following options need to be turned on or mapped in app management as detailed in this General Settings section of this article.
- The Create asset option must be turned on in the General Settings tab.
- Location mappings, or a default location, must be set in the Location Mappings tab.
- The model of the device must be mapped in the Model Mappings tab.
Please note, if your asset does not have a model associated with it in Mosyle Manager, then the asset cannot be added automatically. However, you can manually create or import the asset into the system to circumvent this issue. During the next system sync, if Incident IQ detects a matching serial number inside of Mosyle Manager, the system will then automatically associate the Mosyle data with this asset.
Why are asset tags not updating during syncs?
By default, Incident IQ does not have the option to update asset tags automatically enabled for asset integrations. To turn on asset tag updates during syncs, select Incident IQ Apps > Manage from the left navigation bar, then click on the Data Mapping tab. From here, check the Asset Tag option underneath the Asset Field Mappings section and then save.
Please note, even though this option is not enabled by default, the asset tag field is required for asset creation. Because of this, when an asset is created during a sync without this option enable the following will occur:
- If asset tag information is available, then the asset will be created with the asset tag stored in the Mosyle Manager.
- If asset tag information is not available, then the asset will be created with the serial number filled in for the asset tag.